Friday, July 6, 2012

In for the long haul...

Since 24 weeks my body has been very good at keeping Family, friends, Mike and I on our toes.

24 weeks- I was admitted to the hospital for 3 days because of bleeding.
25&1/2 weeks- I was admitted again because of bleeding.

On the first day of my 27th week (Friday 6/29) I had some bleeding at night. It wasn't too bad, so we waited it out. I woke up on Saturday with contractions 5-7 min apart so we went into OB Triage. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions that worked really well, but made me very shakey and my heart race. Once I was stable, they sent me home.

The next morning, 7/1 I had the biggest bleed so far. I basically woke up in a pool of blood. Off to the hospital again.

My regular doctor was on vacation, so I got to know his on-call replacement VERY well. He was just as honest but reassuring as my regular doctor. He told me that since The frequency and intensity of the bleeds are increasing, they need to keep me for longer. when the question of how long came up, it was answered with a "we will have to see, there is a possibility of keeping you until you deliver." WHAT? SERIOUSLY?

They also told me that they were going to give me 2 steroid shots to help the babys lungs develop. Before they could do this, they had to give me the Gestational Diabetes test. They had to do this before giving me the shots, because the steroids increase your blood sugar.  The test consists of drinking this nasty drink and getting your blood drawn at 1hour then at 2 hours. I didn't pass the 2 hour.
So, along with the Hyperemesis, the bleeding Placenta Previa, I now also have Gestational Diabeties. Yippie. Its safe to say... my body doesn't like being pregnant.

After the smoke had settled, so to speak, we had a long conversation with my group of doctors. This is what they told me:

The bleeding is to be expected. As long as I am not contracting and she isn't in distress, then they wont have to do a c-section. The goal is to "keep me pregnant" as long as they can. If I make it to 36 weeks... they will just do a c-section.
In order to go home, I need to not have a bleeding episode for 7 days. At this "growth" stage in my pregnancy and the fact I have had 3 episodes in the past 5 days... they are telling me the odds are pretty slim. So here I sit... patiently marking off the days.

1 comment:

  1. I read all of your posts but will only comment on this one. We are grateful that you and Elika are okay and we keep praying for both of you. Every day, every week 'in utero' is a blessing for her health. We will help you in any way we can and be supportive. We are thinking of you ALL THE TIME. Love you--Mom A. :)

    ReplyDelete