Friday, April 8, 2011

Faults

I have a huge faults.
edit: one is going on tangents... beware
I have trouble taking compliments and positive reviews This may seem silly but it is an actual problem. I know that it frustrates those around me. Although I am better at taking compliments than I used too, I most of the time don't BELIEVE them. It isn't that I have a low self esteem or that I put myself down.... I just always strive to be better, to grow and I see my personal progress different than an outsider.

This fault came out this week because we had to do presentations in class. I did mine on stress management and in the "credibility statement" I talked about a medical fiasco that happened to me a few years ago. The "cliff notes" version: My body almost completely broke down, every organ system started to loose function , the most noticeably was my neurological system: I could barely walk. I spent 6 months in this state, saw 9 different doctors and none of them knew what was happening. Through a LOT of prayer and massage I regained motor function, taught myself how to walk, and everything fell back into place. I understand that it is a powerful story, but honestly, I just did what I could to get through it. It was one of a few really dark times in my life... a side I dont let show day-to-day. That experience that almost killed me physically and emotionally but saved me spiritually. I am forever grateful that Heavenly Father knew me well enough to give me this challenge. I am thankful because the things that I learned, I couldn't have learned anywhere else.

After my presentation people came up to me and told me numerous compliments on everything from my dress to my presence as a teacher. I graciously thanked them but pointed out other good speeches. I felt like there were plenty of people that did better than me.

When I got my grade  it was a 62 out of 63. I missed ONE POINT. I looked at what it was.. and it was on my credibility statement. I went to talk to the evaluator ( not to argue the one point) I wanted to make sure that what I said was appropriate, and if not, what I could do to change it. My teacher kept saying it was the best speech and that she wants me to be a teacher/ tutor. I asked her again about the credibility statement and she said that I could have " hit the audience harder" with the severeness of what had happened to me to establish myself more.

ironic. One of the things I learned from the experience is not to dwell in the past pain. The last thing I want to do is shove it in peoples faces.. Im not the " look at this horrible thing that happened to me- give me your pitty" type person. I understand how severe it was and that a lot of people wouldnt look at it as a positive experience as I do, but to have people tell me I need to dwell on it to make people listen to what I have to say... just seems wrong. But thats just me.




                                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment